I’ve never been good at talking about myself. Whether it’s my emotions, my thoughts, my favorite things- I grew up with a feeling that no one really cared (and I’ve recently realized that is a trait that people obtain after living with a sociopath- I’ll probably get into that at some point!). So what I really want to do is write all of the things I love because I’ve been learning how to break this really old thought pattern! I’ll end up expanding on a LOT of these things on this website too, and I can’t wait.
Some of my favorite things:
- History- specifically I love the Cleopatra and Caesar era, British history (especially around the Tudor era, but I love everything from Eleanor of Aquitaine to present day), and some other European history. I have read countless books on these topics- luckily they are pretty popular and there are PLENTY of books out there.
- Music- oh boy. I have always been a music person. I *NEED* music. It’s my stress release but it’s also just something I enjoy immensely and I get bummed if I don’t listen to anything in a long time. I’ve always gravitated towards artists that out so much meaning and emotion into their music. As a kid I loved Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, and a few others. As an adult, I really just stuck with LP and BB still, but I added a few others: Paramore, Ed Sheeran, and Ellie Goulding. These days, I’m pretty much solely listening to BTS, a Korean band that has changed the way I view music forever. Music truly transcends language- you can feel the emotion in their voice, you can still enjoy the beat, and if you’re really curious you can look up lyric translations (OR take it a step further and learn a new language!).
- Reading- this was always my escape growing up. Books were my solace and I absolutely couldn’t live without them. I used to keep a log of all of the books I read each year as a teen and I usually hit the 100 mark most years. It truly baffles me that more people don’t love reading! I love video games, movies, and TV shows too but there is nothing quite like reading.
- Harry Potter- I was the perfect age when Harry Potter became popular. I was in 5th grade at the time I believe, so around 11 years old. What could have been better when being introduced to Harry Potter, who was the same age?! I read the first 3 books at least 5 times a piece and eagerly awaited for the next ones to come out. The last book came out a few days after my high school graduation- what perfect timing!
- Game of Thrones- OK first, let me say that I love the books and I am hoping we get redemption in those IF we ever get the last 2 books! That ending on the show was just… ugh. So rushed. I loved the actors though, and up until that last season it was beyond amazing.
- Health- this one should be a given for those that know me personally, but it really is a big one.
Some random things about me:
- I was REALLY fluent in Spanish for several years as a teen/young adult. I had a great teacher in high school, and I was immersed in the language thanks to the job I had and because of a friendship I had during those years. I can still understand it and speak it, just not AS well!
- I’m learning Korean now. I can read it *almost* flawlessy which I feel like is a feat in itself since it’s one of the hardest languages for native English speakers to learn. I know a lot of vocab, but I haven’t been focusing on grammar/sentence structure much yet because of how crazy life has been in the last year. I’m happy as long as I can slowly keep picking up words. But I found it a lot easier to learn a 3rd language since I already know a second. I hope to teach my son all 3 languages too!
- I over-explain things a LOT. I always like to make sure that my point is coming across correctly in general, but having been in the consulting/health world for so long I’m just used to it. I have to make sure people understand everything that is going on in order for them to succeed.
- I probably use too many emojis and exclamation points when I type…
- I really prefer writing and texting to talking.
- I’m an empath. I’ll probably do quite a few posts on this topic to explain more. I’ve only really been understanding more about this in the last year or so.
- I’m an INFJ on the Myer’s Briggs test! One of the rarest personalities. It basically is 10000% correct for me so I really love knowing I’m an INFJ. Things like this can really help you to understand yourself more.
- I really love being a bright colored red head but I’m still trying to find a more natural option since I can’t tolerate the regular boxed stuff anymore. My hair is SO dark, so henna doesn’t even have much of an effect.
- I’m a cat person. Currently I have 2 cats, Charlotte and Bella (the latter is a boy- yea, I’ll explain that in another post haha). I used to work at a very high volume animal shelter and fostered so many kittehs. Especially fluffy kittens- those are my weakness!
- I really like knowing things. I was a great student when I was in school, but I felt like I didn’t really start truly learning anything until I was an adult and I could pick everything that I wanted to learn about. Totally different than memorizing facts from a book! I love learning about actors and musicians, new genres of books, history, and basically everything. I’m so glad to live in a time where we literally have a world of information at our fingertips.